The Stanley Cup run for the Los Angeles Kings have been full of surprises. After being down 3-0 to the Sharks in the first round they came back to win that series in 7 game. Then beat Anahiem in 7 games. Another seven games to elimite the Blackhawks. Their the 1st team ever to win three games sevens to get to a Stanley Cup final.
The crazy stats don’t stop there. So far in the series this has happened:
– The Kings have never led a game. Yet, won both games in overtime
– In game two they were down 2 goals three separate times (2-0, 3-1 and 4-2)
– Los Angeles also overcame 2-0 deficits in winning Game Seven of the Western Conference Final against the Blackhawks and Game One of the Stanley Cup Final versus the Rangers.
– The Kings are the first team in NHL history to win three consecutive games at any point in one playoff year by overcoming a two-goal deficit in each game.
– They’re only the third NHL team to post two consecutive two-goal comeback victories in a Stanley Cup Final series. The others were the Red Wings (against the Rangers) in Games Six and Seven in 1950 and the Flyers (versus the Oilers) in Games Five and Six in 1987 (though Edmonton won the Cup in Game Seven of that year’s Final).
– They’re the first team in NHL history to win three consecutive games in one playoff year after not leading for even one second of actual playing time in any of those games.
– There were nine different goal scorers in the Kings’ 5-4 victory over the Rangers in Game Two of the Stanley Cup Final. It was the fourth Stanley Cup Final game in NHL history in which at least nine goals were scored but no player scored more than one goal. The three previous such Finals games were in 1946 (Canadiens 6, Bruins 3 in Game Five, which clinched the Cup for Montreal), 1975 (Sabres 5, Flyers 4 in overtime, Game Three) and 1982 (Islanders 6, Canucks 4 in Game Two).
I wonder what game three tonight will bring? Puck drop is just after 8 pm