Today’s 5 @ 5 is dedicated to Alice in Chains second album Dirt which came out today, September 29th, in 1992.
Some things to note about the album:
- This is considered Alice in Chains SIGNATURE sound with guitars dropped to ‘D’ for a heavier sound
- It was produced by Dave Jerden (who also worked with Jane’s Addiction and Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- The song Would gave the album an early promotional start on the Singles Soundtrack
- Would was written by Jerry Cantrell, about his friend Andrew Wood (from Mother Love Bone) who passed away after a fatal heroin overdose.
- Them Bones features REAL screams from Layne Staley and an off-time 7/8 time signature
- Rooster is written by Layne Staley, inspired by his father, a veteran of the Vietnam-War.
- The “untitled” track is now known as Iron Gland and features Tom Araya from Slayer
- My favourite line is from Sick Man, “I can feel the wheel, but I can’t steer / When my thoughts become my biggest fear.”