Streaming music had it’s largest year ever and looks to only grow as once again people are changing the way they listen to music.
That doesn’t mean that people aren’t still buying music.
The highest selling Rock album of the year you ask?…
Metallica’s “Hardwired…To Self-Destruct” with 1.1 million in sales (source) (also note that “The Black Album” is #16. more that that below)
The Top 5 albums you ask? These………
See the full 100 list ==> HERE
As you can see a lot of older albums are still being bought. Tom Petty’s Greatest Hit is at #10, #11 is Journey’s Greatest Hits, Guns N Roses Greatest Hits at #21, Nevermind at #30 and many more.
Rock was also healthy in streams and vinyl sales.
More on the year in rock music sales & streams…..
● The Rock genre (22.2% of total) was the top genre in terms of total album consumption, Rap/Hip Hop and Pop followed with 17.5% and 17.2% respectively. Latin was the top-growing genre, gaining 23% versus 2016.
● 29.3% of all album sales in 2017 were from the Rock genre with more than 43 million sales. 19.7% were Pop titles, 14.1% were Urban albums (Hip-Hop/Rap and R&B) and 12% were Country albums.
● 54% of vinyl albums sold in 2017 were from the Rock genre. 14.4% were Pop titles and 13.4% were Urban titles.
● 23% of song sales in 2017 were titles from the Rock genre, 22.2% were Urban songs, 21.9% were Pop and 12.6% were Country songs.
● Deep Catalog titles, those released more than three years ago, accounted for 51% of all album sales in 2017 and 54% for physical album sales. For vinyl sales that figure jumps to 63% and for video streams, it is 59%.
Here’s more on the year in streaming and sales ==> HERE
(if your a music nerd like me these numbers are pretty interesting).